This is a fantastic job for someone willing to commit to a family based in London the majority of the year and California in the summer and Switzerland (near Gstaad) in the winter school holidays (Christmas, Easter and Half Terms). This is a rare opportunity for a long term opportunity with lovely clients. The current chef has been with the family for 5 years and is leaving due to having her second baby.
An experienced but friendly chef is required for a family of 5 based in Kensington but the chef MUST also be prepared to travel to their other homes in California and Switzerland (dates in advance are known). This job is for someone willing to commit to a permanent role, for a good number of years. It is a great job that will be very busy at times, and very quiet at other times. There is no parking at the house in London, so the clients are ideally looking for a London based cook.
This job will start as a PART TIME JOB working Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays from March then FULL TIME MONDAY-FRIDAY With occasional Saturdays from June 2018. The chef must be available to do a (paid) trial ASAP. If the chef cannot start on a part time basis, they can be flexible.
The family travel over approx 2 months of the year (6 weeks in California in the summer, 2-3 weeks in Switzerland over Christmas/New Year, 1 week at Feb Half Term in Switzerland, and occasionally a couple of weeks at Easter). The chef really MUST be able to commit to this, the family are not interested in flaky chefs. This is part of the job. The days and weeks when travelling can be longer and busier than the days in London as they are on 'holiday' and therefore are entertaining more and having more parties etc.
A holiday allowance of 20 days plus bank holidays is given (or if you work a bank holiday then you get this day off in lieu). You must take holidays with permission of the clients usually in their periods of travel (they are usually in California for 8 weeks for example so you take 2 weeks off at the end of your 6 week stint, then take time off after Christmas etc but this can all be discussed).
- Starting salary will depend on the chef experience and expectations but it is around £65,000 - this is a job for someone experienced who has previous formal training in a well known restaurant or cookery school AND private household experience (staying with one family/client for a long period of time). It is not suitable for someone who has just been cooking for a couple of years.
- Monday – Friday in Kensington, London with the occasional Saturday or Sunday if asked (will be given notice)
- Hours in London approx. 11am-8pm but occasional dinner parties required (later finish)
- Cooking for 2 adults in London at lunch time (soup/salad style lunch) and 2 adults, 3 kids (boys) (15/15/13) at dinner (although numbers will vary when they have guests) – usually two courses plated up formally every evening when its just family (main & pud) but four courses (canapes, starter, main, pud) when entertaining. Beautiful presentation of plated dishes is very important.
- Afternoon tea is to be prepared i.e. muffins, cookies, or cake, for when boys get home from school. This can vary and is not always essential.
- Flexibility is required to work longer hours when necessary and the chef must be capable of dealing with last minute changes in numbers/requirements.
- During periods of travel you could be working long stints with not many days off, but there are often times when the clients are out for lunch and/or dinner.
- Housekeeper to help with service/washing up of glasses/cutlery etc at all meals in all destinations.
- 20 days holiday a year plus bank holidays (or take days off in lieu if you are working a bank holiday).
- Holidays must be approved by the client.
- Open plan kitchen, chef must be approachable and family friendly, but professional.
- Chef must be experienced and able to cope with changing plans and numbers and cater exceptional food that is beautifully presented for different dietary requirements
- Salary is fixed and the chef will not be able to charge for extra days or hours. The salary will be paid in 12 equal amounts over one year on a payroll (taxes etc done for the chef).
- The clients are looking for long term commitment and someone who would like the security of having a permanent job and who is prepared to offer flexibility to the client.
If you are interested in this position, please e mail email@example.com for full job description and more details, photos of the current chefs food and sample menus. Salary will depend on expectations, but also on your experience. You must have a full portfolio of individually plated food photos that you have cooked yourself to support your application.